Andrew James Guthrie (23 May 1897 in Hawick, UK – 8 August 1937) was a Scottish motorcycle racer famous for 19 motorcycle Grand Prix wins, 3 victories in the North West 200 and 6 wins at the Isle of Man TT races. He died in 1937 when motorcycle racing in Germany. The Jimmie Guthrie Memorial Run Is a gathering of vintage and veteran motorcycles and cars. set in a great location in the borders. The run was originally, to celebrate the 50-year anniversary of the Hawick & Border Motorcycle club, and to celebrate the clubs most famous member. The run is approximately 40-50 miles and the route varies from year to year. they always make a detour to Wilton Lodge Park in Hawick to visit the exhibition in the museum and to visit the Guthrie statue.
Today, Dick, Gavin, Hugh, Ken and myself set off from the departure lounge. stopping at bigger for a cup of tea and a pie! a pie 🙂
After the pie, we made our way to Denholm, the village of Denholm is situated in a beautiful part of Teviotdale in the Scottish Borders, about halfway between the towns of Hawick and Jedburgh. It lies in gently rolling countryside between Ruberslaw and the Minto Hills, volcanic outcrops which thrust up through the underlying Old Red Sandstone.
The original settlement of ‘Denum’ was sited ‘at the valleys’ where the broad valley of the River Teviot meets the narrow glen of the Dean Burn. The early hamlet was plundered and burnt during English raids of the 16th century. The village we see today dates from the 17th century when it was laid out around the Green.
Denholm is a Conservation Area listed as ‘a planned village as opposed to the traditional unplanned or organic form of village usually found in Roxburghshire.’
The village is built around the Green, which in days gone by was let for grazing to the butchers or smallholders. In the middle of the Green stands Leyden’s Monument which was erected in 1861. The Green has always been at the heart of village life. Weekly and half-weekly fairs used to be held here. Part of the base of an old Mercat cross can still be seen inside the railings surrounding the monument. The cross itself was removed and the base hollowed out sometime in the 19th century to make a water trough for cattle!
Classic and Vintage cars and Motorcycles gathered before attempting the 40-mile course to Hawick for the presentations to prizewinners.